Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'll have the THICK crust, please!

When I first moved to Colorado I didn't know a soul. I moved into an apartment that my company provided. It was a nice place, had air conditioning and furniture. The only serious component missing was a phone. I had no way to call anyone. When I left work at 4 pm I came back to my empty apartment. Sat alone and wondered what I was going to do until it wasn't embarrassingly early to go to bed.

This was probably the most lonely I've ever felt.

After about 3 days of this I decided it was time to get a cell phone. I rushed over to the Veriz0n store and tried to get a phone. Unfortunately, I'd never used a credit card or even paid utilities under my own name. The deposit was going to be $800! To get a phone! Ridiculous.

There, in the Veriz0n Wireless store I lost it. I broke down and begged the manager to give me a phone. I NEEDED a phone. I wasn't leaving without one. He was immovable. He made me call my mom and ask her to co-sign for a phone to waive the deductible. Ridiculous and humiliating to have to ask my mom for help.

Anyway, its been 6 years and I've had my phone by my side ever since. The models come and go, but my love for connectivity remained constant.

That is, until this weekend.

I was down in Arizona and the beating intensity of the sun was just too much for this fair haired girl of British Isles heritage. Somewhere it fell out of my purse and could not be found anywhere.

At first I was distraught. Would I experience that same isolated loneliness of yesteryear? Could I handle being cut off from everyone I know and love? I woke up in the middle of the night in a strange bedroom scared out of my little noggin. I turned everything I owned inside out.

I looked in the most improbable of places.

It was gone.


But, you know what? The strangest thing has happened in the 3 days I haven't had it. I feel free. Sometimes people can't get ahold of me, and that's OK. I've found that, for me, it really isn't that important to be connected to everyone int he world at EVERY moment. It's nice to slow down and disengage.

Of course, I haven't had the craving for Papa J0hn's pizza yet so we'll see what happens when I do.....

4 comments:

Maggie said...

OK, but how will we get a hold of you? I guess I could call your hubby.

Katie said...

Yeah, call him.

Anonymous said...

um, so what you are saying is that I was no help when we became friends that summer. tear.

Katie said...

In case you don't remember, I didn't meet you until I'd been there a month. That is when my loneliness ended and a ray of brilliant sunshine entered my life.