Thursday, March 06, 2008

Confession of a huge dork

I'm always a little shocked when someone compliments me on style or creativity or anything like that, and here is why.



About 7 years ago US News and W0rld Rep0rt printed an issue dedicated to robots. At the time I was a starving mechanical engineering undergrad and didn't have the dinero to go out and buy the issue. I kept seeing it all over the place and secretly really wanted to swipe it.

I was out with a group of non-engineer friends one night, saw the magazine and started pining over it. From that night on I was mercilessly teased about being a robot lover.


Truth be told, I am a big, fat, geeky, robot fan! I think going to an automated plant is just about the coolest way you can spend an afternoon. Which is why I can't really contain my excitement about the invitation I got in my email box this afternoon.

Feast your pretty eyes on this bad boy:



A VIP inviation? For little ole me? To be part of an organization that inspires kids to get involved in my industry? Oh heck yes!

I just hope the ear doctor can handle the freakishly high nerd level that will surround an even of this caliber.

7 comments:

Anth said...

I say Embrace your geekiness. I have and life is so much more fun now.

poodle said...

omigosh, i TOTALLY want to take my kids to this competition next year. SO COOL!!!

Katharina said...

I love your enthusiasm for your field. Rock on, nerd-girl!!

TRS said...

You are so clever and important!
How did they find you and know that you HAD to have an invitation?!?!? Amazing.

Wave your freak flag high and proud!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's really cool. I worked at the company that sells Dean Kamen's wheelchair that goes up and down stairs (same technology as the Segway) and while I was at the company we were able to attend this semi-finals competition as Dean's guests and be on the floor during the competition. It was amazing to see what kids can pull off. Have a great time!

litespeed said...

I think robots are cool, too.

Besides, where would this world be without dorks, geeks, and nerds?

Anonymous said...

Tiger Woods,Michael Jordan or Eli Manning will never catch Bill Gates.