Friday, November 14, 2008

We are going to be THOSE parents

I'm a little worried about the future children born to the ear doctor and myself. We're both just so totally dorky that it's hard to imagine that a kid might be normal after spending their formative years with us.

For example, before we decided how bundled up to get for our morning walk the ear doctor peered through the blinds that prevent the creepy neighbor from being able to watch us slumber. He turned to me and said, "you gotta look at this"

Immediately the story from the Nielson kid's first morning of snow popped into my mind and I excitedly asked, "Did it snow?"


Before he had a chance to answer I was next to his side, peering trough the cheap, embarrassingly dirty blinds. (give me a break...like I'm really going to take the time to clean the blinds....)



Yup.


The first thought in my mind did not consist of sugar plum fairies or snowball fights as in days of yore. Instead, they focused on one, adorable, stubborn, little thing.





Roscoe.

It would be his first snow. I flew around the house in a tornado of excitement. Much to my chagrin, I noticed that battery on our camera was dead! HOW COULD I HAVE LET THE BATTERY RUN OUT!!!!!!! THIS IS A MOMENTOUS DAY THAT WILL NEVER COME AGAIN!!! I MUST DOCUMENT IT!!! (the ear doctor is rolling his eyes and cringing in pain as he reads this)

Oh well, my crappy phone camera would have to do. There was no way I wasn't going to capture on of our little guy's firsts. I threw whatever warm clothes were on top of the pile at the back of my closet and practically pushed the ear doctor outside with the dog. I instructed him to let me go ahead so that when we got to the snow I'd be able to capture the dog's very first moment with snow. Crouched on the ground, my pants getting soaked I waited to click.


If this is how freakishly excited I get over my DOG's firsts in life can you imagine what it'll be like for a kid....

(shudder)







Turns out that without flash, in the dark of a pre-dawn morning a cell phone does not do a great job of capturing a moment. The only halfway decent record of this mornings activity is of my dog peeing. I'm sure that's really at the top of your I-MUST-SEE list for the day.




No need to thank me.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

You are hilarious! Thanks.

Katharina said...

So, that begs the question....how long till Roscoe's first snowsuit? Or at least a pair of dog booties for the little feet?
;)

Mrs. Architect said...

HAHA! I love you chica! You make me smile! :-)

Stephanie said...

Your dog is so cute! even if he is peeing. :-)

Courtney said...

I would have responded the EXACT SAME WAY!

Darling picture! You can't even tell he's relieving himself. :)