Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just trying to rely on the kindness of strangers

Hey all,

So I know I've mentioned before that I volunteer to lead/teach a group of 7 girls at my church, right? My goal has been to provide interesting experiences for these girls so they know who they are and they great good they can do in their community if they think of others and offer a helping hand.

Well, recently I became aware of an organization called BirthmomBuds. They are focused on supporting women who choose to place their babies with families through adoption. I was fascinated to learn that studies have shown that most birthmoms have a serious bout of depression about 4-6 weeks after placing their little baby.

I had no idea! I'd never even thought of the after effects a birthmom must go through after making such a selfless decision to offer someone else the chance to have a family! It must be so hard!

Well, the ladies who started BirthmomBuds decided that they'd send each Birthmom they could a care package after they placed their little one. What a great idea! They run their organization on donations, so I thought it'd be a great activity involve my girls. We've decided that each of them will make a care package for these birthmoms. That means we have to come up 7 of each of the following items:

A picture frame (in which to keep a special picture of her birth child)
A photo album (to hold the special photos of her birth child)
Candles and bath gels (to help her relax)
Small notepads
Candy/nic nacs

The catch is that we don't really have a whole lot of funds to dedicate to this small project. So, here is your chance to help us. I know times are tough, but next time you're at the grocery store, could you throw in 7 packs of gum and mail them to me? Or maybe you have 7 cool pens laying around your house...could you box them up and slap my address on the outside?

If you are so inclined, leave me a comment with what you'd like to donate and a way to get in touch with you.

Thanks so much for considering it....bloggers are the most awesome of people!

12 comments:

heather said...

Katie I would love to do something to help out the girls (I think what you are doing with them is awesome and as an adoptive mother, I'd really like to help too). not sure exactly what (have to hit up Target first) but could I let you know when I have the things?

Please send your address to me at whatsyourdamage (at) mac dot com.

Thanks!
Heather

SeƱora H-B said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Actually, I would love to be able to do that with the girls ("troubled" teens from 13-18) I work with... Do you have any info you can send me? This is really a GREAT idea.

I would also love to send you something for your project. When would you need it by?

Thanks, Heather
ohiggins[at]gmail[dot]com

Abby said...

I would love to do this! I don't know what yet but I will find something and let you know!

arjack201 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

HI,
I live in Canada...but if you find something I can order online for you in the $20-30 range let me know and I can send it to you (or could I send you a gift certificate that you could take your girls shopping with??)?
let me know -- karilynne @ sasktel.net

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. I would love to support these women, because what they do is very selfless. Please e-mail me at joolieewooliee[at]yahoo[dot]com.

TRS said...

Oh how perfect! I love it!!

I just love adoption.
I'm adopted myself, you know - so what these women do unselfishly is certainly not lost on me. (and so much better than the horrible alternative!)

You know - I have a pile of Christmas gifts (bath creams, bubbles that sort of thing) that I can't use due to my sensitive chemistry - and I've been looking for a useful way to get rid of them. (don't worry, they're not even opened)

Wow, this would help me and indulge a couple of amazing birth moms!?!?!?!?!? Sign me up!

BluBabes said...

I'd like to help on this one. Just send me info how at blu_babes@hotmail.com
I can only imagine the depression some of these women feel. What they've done takes a tremendous amount of courage. These women still need love and support, even after the fact.

Melinda said...

This is something that the girls and the birth moms will remember forever! I'd love to help out, too!! Email is mkworkman (at) gmail (dot) com

Stephanie said...

I want to help as well. My email is ameliasmommy(at)gmail(dot)com.

I can't imagine how hard it must be. I had some postpartum depression with each kid and I still had the child. I can't imagine what it's like for those moms.

Katharina said...

Me too!
Katharina ~ idahonurse@juno.com

Erinello said...

I just want to thank you for what you're doing. I had a baby when I was 18 and I gave him up for adoption. It's so bittersweet- there's so much joy, and it's amazing to share that joy with the adoptive parents, but of course, it hurts so much. The first few months were definitely the hardest, and on top of it, I had postpartum depression. The girls you will be sending these care packages to are so lucky to have you. Make sure you include them in your prayers! :)