Friday, June 18, 2004

Be prepared

Alright, so the quasi date was supposed to happen last night. I worked until 5 (way later than usual) and then went home. It was a downpour, so I had already decided to bail on the invitation to play Frisbee golf. At around 6 the guy called me and asked me if I still wanted to go. I politely declined citing the torrential downpour as my excuse. Plus, I just started a book that is proving to be way cooler than I thought it would be. This is how the conversation went:

Him: so we are probably going to play at 7
Me: Umm, I don't really think I want to run around in the rain
Him: yeah, that’s what I told the guys, but they are still going to play so....
Me: Well, I really don't want to be outside, so maybe we can just hang out some other time. Thanks so much for inviting me, but I just don't think so. (this is me trying to end the conversation)
Him: Well, how was work today (this was him trying to keep the conversation going)
Me: Not bad, (me confused at why he didn't take the hint that I didn't want to talk more)

What proceeded was about 20 minutes of him trying to "get to know me" like we were on a date or something. You have to understand that I HATE talking on the phone. I just can't do it. It was bad. I kept trying to make jokes and after everyone there was a little pause of silence like he didn't think they were funny. The whole vibe I was getting was that he was really interested in me. I just don't want to lead this kid on at all because he is the type of guy who is just so nice I would never want to hurt his feelings. Also, he is too nice, I would probably never want to date him either. I'm just trying to avoid all romantic entanglements this summer.

So when I finally got off the phone I was drained. I tried to tell my roommate about it, but she was busy falling asleep while cuddling with her boyfriend, so she really didn’t give me the sympathetic response that I needed. I tried to relate this concern of someone maybe liking me and me not liking them to Eric, but he was of no help either. He just said, "Well, I don't know what to tell you." Maybe it is still too soon to go to him for guy advice.

Anyway, I read the whole evening and then went over to steal some of Brett's butterscotch chip cookies. They were delish!

No comments: