Wednesday, June 02, 2004

My thought of the day

So I was talking with a friend last night and we stumbled onto a topic that I thought was pretty interesting. I asked him if he thought that a person should just say everything that they think and feel. He said yes, and that it is better to have things out in the open so that there is no misunderstanding. I thought that was a good point. Later, I was talking to my roommate and asked her the same question. She said that she thought there were times when it was better to leave some things unsaid.

Looking back at my personal experiences, there are definitely moments where I wish I had said more and times I completely regret things I have said. Usually the regrets come from things I said in the moment of blinding redheaded fury. I’m afraid that I will probably never be able to stop saying those things that is just part of my flawed nature. Sometimes my regretted comments come after much thought, like the conversation I had with some friends a couple of weeks ago down in Havasu canyon. Those are the times I wish I had just held my tongue.

On the other hand, there are times when I should have said what I think, but my dumb pride got in the way. You know, stuff like telling other people that I need them, or I made a mistake, or I can’t do everything on my own. Those are all things I wish I would have told people in the moment.

I guess what it all boils down to is that it really depends on the outcome of the situation whether or not I am glad, or regret what I said. And, since there is no way of really being able to tell what the outcome will be ahead of time, there is no way to control whether I will be pleased, or disappointed by my actions. Sticky situation…..

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Like I said, you can't know the future, but you can know what you want the future to be. If you pick a desired outcome and then you consiously work for it, then you'll come as close as you can. I really can't say anything about talking in the heat of passion, because I do that too and I find it very hard to overcome that urge. It's kind of like picking at a scab. I know it's wrong and it'll probably cause a scar, but I can't help it. But anyway, I think I would tend toward the idea that there are times when it's better if things are left unsaid. Tact is everything.